Saturday, May 2, 2009

Allll Byyyyyyy Myseeeeeeeeeeeeelf....



that was supposed to be funny, but the funny is seriously negated by the cold harsh reality that that song is ASS. lol, i just remembered that in the film adaptation of the rules of attraction, that goth girl killed herself with this playing. um, if i were exposed to eric carmen for more than ten consecutive minutes, i'm sure that i would take a long walk down razorblade road myself.

ANYWAY, my SUPERFIERCE aunt cyd has gone on her first major vacation as of yesterday-she's going to miami, a european cruise, back to miami and then to london and then to back home to phoenix on a three week extravaganza of decadence. i'm all alone with her 17 damn cats, my upcoming final exams and essays, and some mixed blessing solitude. usually i enjoy the silence, but i've been just a tiny bit emotionally uneven lately and have had a really hard time not drinking, so i think that maybe being alone for three weeks is maybe not the best thing for me, BUT i can't think of ANYONE EVER who deserves a really epic vacation more than my aunt. she's not the kind of person who does stuff for herself- in fact, she has consistantly neglected herself for the benefit of either myself or my grandfather (and my late grandma) ever since i have been down in az, which is going on 12 years now. Happily, i've been pretty much self-reliant and low maintenance for coming up on five years now, but just as i started getting better, my grandparents started going downhill in a more pronounced way. I learned the term for fifty-sixtyish middle aged people caught in between the needs of adult children and their increasingly geriatric parents from my psych class last semester- they're called the "middle generation". i think cyd exemplifies that burden better than anybody i know, and she does it without complaint and without even letting slip the hardship she undertakes to provide the necessary support. for instance, i just found out a few WEEKS AGO that my aunt took out a second mortgage on her house so that she could pay for putting my grandmother in good sam for a year, and she never even told anybody. that was in 2005! the only reason i know now, is because she accidentally let it slip. that's 70,000 dollars that she kicked in, while my mom and stepfather (who is an nuclear engineer for GE who made 200,000$ a year twenty years ago and probably makes way more now) didn't contribute ANY money, but DID endlessly criticize my grandmother's care from 1500 miles away until she died, AND my aunt took time off of work and flew back to nebraska at least once a month for a year to get my grandpa through the adjustment of having his wife of over 50 years being in a home with hardcore dementia, and then when she died took off almost a full month to deal with the funeral... she's just the strongest, most amazing woman and she is absolutely my hero. if i could be like anyone, i would want to be like her.

on a lighter note, i got an email from her today (she just flew out of phoenix last night) that reads:

I'm not coming back.
Cyd

with this picture attached


Doesn't she look super happy? AWWWW! i'm so proud of her for doing this for herself... i miss her already, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment